Handy renovation planning checklist
Planning your renovation is exciting. You’ve probably got lots of ideas as well as questions at this stage. It helps to get these down on paper, so you can start to see your project take shape. To help get you started, the Refresh team has put together a handy planning checklist. We’ll also cover some of these topics in our initial consultation with you, so it’s helpful to think about them beforehand!
1. Gather your design ideas.
The first step in the process is for Refresh to understand exactly what you want to achieve in your home (including the reasons for your renovation). You might like to:
- Keep a scrapbook, folder or online record of design ideas you love.
- Visit local open homes, or view real estate websites, to view other renovations in your neighbourhood.
- Prioritise what you want to achieve from your renovation (e.g is it to create more space, add value, prepare for resale etc)
2. Come up with an initial budget.
As part of the Refresh Renovation process, we need to establish a ‘ball park budget’ early on. (This will get adjusted and firmed up as part of the design process, but it provides an important starting point).
To help decide on your budget:
- Investigate your different types of potential funding e.g savings, mortgage top-up, bank loan, personal loan.
- Make a list of the must-haves for your renovation, versus the nice-to-haves.
- To help spread the budget, could you complete your renovation in different stages over time?
3. Think ahead to the build process.
When it comes to the actual build, your Refresh team will coordinate everything for you. But one thing to think about is your own living arrangements during this period. Will you stay in your home during the renovation, or move out temporarily?
- What would be the best time of year to do your renovation (e.g planned around other commitments, family holidays etc)
- If you’ll be living there, you may need to reconfigure your living arrangements during this period. Think about the best way to do this.
- If you’ll be moving out, investigate your different options (e.g living with friends or family temporarily, staying in a serviced apartment, or renting a place short-term).
If you would like a free, no obligation initial design and build consultation to discuss your renovation project, use the enquiry form to get in touch.